Friends of the Waite Arboretum Inc.

 

The Friends of the Waite Arboretum was established at the suggestion of a number of Waite Arboretum Guides in 1994.  The first meeting of the Friends was held on 12th September 1994 in Urrbrae House at the University of Adelaide's Waite campus. The organisation was incorporated as an business entity in early 1995.  The first Newsletter #1 was produced in Spring 1994.

                     

#467 Dracaena draco Dragon Tree ASPARAGACEAE planted in 1929.  The tree was used for the design of the Friends' logo.

Join the Friends and enjoy the many benefits: Membership Form 

The aims of the Friends are: 

1.  "To foster interest in the care and use of the Arboretum.  2. To raise funds for the development and promotion of the Waite Arboretum or for any purpose which has the approval of the Curator of the Arboretum."

Waite Arboretum entrance via Walter Young Drive from Fullarton Road Urrbrae

     Peter Waite and Shrimp

Left: Peter Waite and his dog Shrimp Source: University of Adelaide, Zeitz, 2014, p.12

Right:   The Peter Waite and his dog Shrimp sculpture is part of the Towards the Land, A sculptural narrative by Greg Johns. The bronze dog Shrimp was made by Silvio Apponyi.  The woodcraft was made by Douglas Bell.  The Landscape design is by Viesturs Cielens.    Towards the Land was opened by the Hon. Diana Laidlaw, Minister for the Arts on 22 October 1999.  The project was funded by the Australian Council Visual Arts / Craft Board and the Friends of the Waite Arboretum.

Location: Southern of the Mallee Collection, northeast of the Dry Rainforest Collection.  Nearby trees include #2193 A,B,C  Aesculus californica California Buckeye HIPPOCASTANACEAE Californica 2009.